Monday, October 10, 2011

A Leg Out

Almost every Sunday morning early before our church services commence I will drive to our church to check on the heat or cooling situation, to pray some, and to see if anything is out of place.  Then I drive back home to get ready for church and see that my family is stirring.  We bought a home close to the church for that reason; we knew we would be spending a lot of time travelling to and from the church.
As I was heading into town to go to the church this Sunday morning I saw something I had never seen before.  It stuck fast in my mind and the Spirit of God spoke to my wearied soul in that moment.  I call it a Picture Parable.  As I was heading into town I saw out my driver’s side window, and then I watched in my rear view, a pick-up truck with a cap on the back.  The cap window was slightly opened and a black dog had climbed out the window.  He had a leg out the window and he was stuck halfway in and half way out.  I watched as the poor stuck helpless dog tried to pull himself back in.  He kept jerking back to try to pull his body and his leg back in.  He jerked and jerked but couldn’t budge. The truck must have been doing forty; who knows what might have happened if the troubled dog fell out.
During the moments as I watched the helpless dog the Spirit of God spoke to my heart.  He said, “That’s you.” And I knew what he meant, “That’s you.” I reflected on that for a second. Then I sensed as though He was saying, “I don’t want you stuck with a leg out, you need to make up your mind, there’s too much at stake.”  I was relieved as I watched the driver pull to the side of the road, presumably to help the poor helpless dog back into the bed of the truck.
Sometimes we find ourselves stuck; Burdened by a monumental decision.  We may even have a leg out, we may be out of fellowship with a Christian brother, or we may be wrestling at a crossroads.  It could be a work situation and a career change.  It could be something else.  What do we do when we’re stuck?
We talk to the driver of the truck; now this would be impossible if we were a dog stuck with a leg out because most dogs don’t talk.  But the Driver of the truck knows our hearts.  He knows our hurts.  Furthermore only He knows the plans He has for us.  So what do we do when we’re stuck?
You trust God will help you out or back in if that’s His plan.  His word says “Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.”
You acknowledge His sovereign hand in the situation; you pray.  “In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.”  That’s a promise my friends.  He SHALL direct your paths.
Make sure you are trusting Him and not your own fleshly selfish desires. “Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.”
If we do this and follow His leading He will guide us every step of the way.  Sometimes He does lead into the dark; into the valley of the shadow of death, but I will fear no evil for Thou art with me, Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me.
If we seek His face, He will be pleased to lead and He will be pleased.  Make sure you are following him and not a man or men.  By all means don’t follow me; follow Him.
 If we follow Him faithfully “He will increase and WE will decrease!”
Scripture references borrowed from Proverbs 3:5-7 and the 23rd Psalm.
If you like this or think it could help someone else, spread the word, share.
He Must Increase, all WE must decrease! He Must! WE Must!

No comments:

Post a Comment