Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A Double Minded Man

When you think of Moses what character traits come to mind? 
Bold?
Powerful?
Authoritative?
Independent?
Perhaps. 
But do you ever think meek, lowly, timid?
 I only say timid because if you recall when God called him to go lead the descendants of Israel out of bondage he made excuses for himself. 
The excuses he gave made him appear timid.
Moses said unto God, “Who am I, that I should go unto Pharaoh, and that I should bring forth the children of Israel out of Egypt?”  God, I’m a nobody in Pharaoh’s eyes.
And Moses further said, “But, behold, they will not believe me, nor hearken unto my voice: for they will say, The LORD hath not appeared unto thee.”  God, they will not believe me. They will not listen to me.
And Moses even further said unto the LORD, “O my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither heretofore, nor since thou hast spoken unto thy servant: but I am slow of speech, and of a slow tongue.”  God, I am not a good ‘speaker’ surely you don’t mean for me to preach.
And he at last said, “O my Lord, send, I pray thee, by the hand of him whom thou wilt send.”  God, you have the wrong man, send someone else.  “And the anger of the LORD was kindled against Moses.”  Holy, righteous, Godly anger… not the wrath of man, “For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.” (James 1:20)
So when you think of Moses what character traits come to mind?
He was bold, powerful, authoritative, independent and fully dependant on God his Saviour.  When he wasn’t his timidity would reveal itself.
Timid people are easily angered at times when their insecurities and uncertainties are ‘challenged’.  When in a time of weakness, when they are not fully resting in the promises of God, they respond or rather they react in anger.  Moses certainly did.
I remember once when I worked for Canteen Service Company in the vending industry.  I was cleaning out my van at the day’s end and I found in the dumpster where I was putting my waste; I found a raccoon.  It looked scared.  Alone. Timid.  I determined to help it out of the bin so I layered boxes to make a ramp for the little critter to easily climb out.  I thought he would run up and out immediately.   When he didn’t I was a bit surprised, still concerned, and in my ignorance I determined to give him a boost.  That’s when I took a broom and with the wooden handle I attempted to prod the helpless creature.  Helpless, right?! The Coon snarled and lunged and grabbed the broom with a violent jerk.  He nearly yanked it right out of my hand.  I was shocked.  After all I was just trying to help him out.  Couldn’t he see that?
Moses was a man of convictions.
By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter;
Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season;
Esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt: for he had respect unto the recompence of the reward.
Moses was a man of faith.
By faith he forsook Egypt, not fearing the wrath of the king: for he endured, as seeing him who is invisible.
Through faith he kept the passover, and the sprinkling of blood, lest he that destroyed the firstborn should touch them.
By faith they passed through the Red sea as by dry [land]: which the Egyptians assaying to do were drowned.
But Moses was a timid person.  That’s not necessarily a bad thing. His timidity only led to anger when he forgot Who was in charge.  Moses was the meekest man on the planet.  Meek is what a timid person becomes when they are fully resting in God our Savior.
The scriptures say, (Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the face of the earth.) That’s in Numbers 12:3.  The meekest man on the planet, and yet he had an anger problem.
Often it was righteous indignation, but not always.  His anger is what kept him out of the promised land remember.
Dr. David Jerimiah writes in Fruit of the Spirit in his chapter on meekness that Moses
“on occasion he could be glaringly and openly angry. And yet on other occasions he could be compassionate.  The same Moses who in righteous anger broke the tablets and slew the worshippers of the golden calf was the one who faced the anger of God and asked Him not to destroy His people.  In fact, Moses said, ‘If you will forgive their sin- but if not I pray, blot me out of Your book which You have written,’ (Exodus 32:32) Here’s a man who could rise in white hot anger against unrighteousness and in the next moment be a compassionate, caring individual willing to put his own life on the line in his love for his people.”
Dr. Jeremiah  says, “Strength and compassion fused together in a beautifully balanced personality- that’s what meekness is.”  And meekness is a fruit of the Holy Spirit Who lives within us believers.  We can be meek, and not timid or angry; we can be meek if we trust fully in the internal abiding Grace of our Jesus.  He who is “meek and lowly in heart” will enable us to reflect His wonderfully powerful meekness. Strength and compassion fused together.
So often I forget Who is in charge; if we run and hide from conflict.  If we forget Who is in charge.  If we hide from the Commander then we will not have this wonderful fruit of His Spirit.  We will be like Dr. Jeckyl who had a bad ‘formula’ and became Mr. Hyde.  We must guard against this tendancy, for "a double-minded man is unstable in ALL his ways." God help us not to be double-minded, increase our faith, and if we are already, help us not to continue in double-mindedness, in doubt.
We must submit in lowly acceptance of our circumstances to the King.
If we do this He will increase and we again will decrease.
He must increase, WE must decrease!”

Authors Personal Note: I Write these posts with His glory in mind.  To God be the glory in all we do, it must be this way.  He will honor us in due time but it is according to His good will that He does.  Will you consider sharing this post on the social network(s) that you frequent?  To God be the glory! "He must increase, WE must decrease!"

No comments:

Post a Comment