Sunday, November 20, 2011

Sand In My Stockings

One Sunday morning as I was getting ready for church I discovered that to my dismay I had a grain of sand in my sock.  I was kind of in a hurry so I didn’t bother to remove it right away.  After about two minutes though I could stand it no longer and I stopped for another two minutes to remove my sock, turn it inside out, and find the pesky unwanted visitor.
It reminded me of a missionary or preacher I once heard about who was determined not to be too comfortable in this world of ours.  He intentionally placed and kept a pebble in his shoe as a constant reminder.
I wonder how many of the minor discomforts of life are placed there intentionally by our Heavenly Father as a constant reminder that we are not to be too comfortable in this world.
“If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.”
“Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.”
And
“Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.”
“For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.”
“And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.”
Set your affection on things above!
“He must increase, WE must decrease!”

No comments:

Post a Comment